UEFA Super Cup 2018

UEFA Super Cup 2018

2018 Aug 3

UEFA Super Cup 2018: Real Madrid vs Atletico on 08/15/2018!

Winners of the UEFA Super Cup


The UEFA Super Cup is a football mini-tournament of one match, in which the winners of the Champions League and the Europa League of the previous season are fighting for the trophy. The tournament was founded in 1972, but in 1974, 1981 and 1985 it was not held for various reasons. The match between Real Madrid and Atletico will be the 43rd draw of the UEFA Super Cup.

More often, the winners of the UEFA Super Cup were Spanish clubs, who have 14 wins.  Barcelona won the tournament 5 times. Milan had the same number of victories.

List of all winners of the UEFA Super Cup:


• Barcelona & Milan - 5
• Real Madrid - 4
• Liverpool & Ajax - 3
• Anderlecht, Valencia, Atletico , Juventus - 2

A number of clubs once won the UEFA Super Cup: Sevilla, Porto, Manchester United, Bavaria, Chelsea, Dynamo Kiev, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Aberdeen, Steaua, Mechelen, Lazio, Parma, Galatasaray and Zenit.
Thus, Real Madrid has an additional motivation to catch up with the eternal Catalan opponent Barcelona by the number of titles. Atletico, in case of victory, will join the group of Ajax and Liverpool, who have three trophies.

Stats for Real Madrid & Atletico Matches


The Madrid grandees did not meet at the UEFA Super Cup before. Real Madrid played six times in the match for the UEFA Super Cup, and won four times. Atletico has a 100% figure - two participations and two wins.
Real Madrid - the winner of the last two editions of the UEFA Super Cup. First played in the Super Cup twenty years ago - the edition of 1998, in which the team lost to Chelsea. Then there was another unsuccessful attempt in 2000 - they were defeated by Galatasaray. The first title was won by the “galacticos” two years later, when in 2002 Madrid defeated Feyenoord.

The next victory was already in modern history - in 2013, with Sevilla 3: 1. In 2016, again, they confronted Sevilla, and again Real Madrid won, this time 3: 2. A year ago, they won the fourth trophy, beating Manchester United 2: 1.

For Atletico, this is only the third participation in the UEFA Super Cup. And if Real Madrid has always qualified for the Super Cup due to the victory in the Champions League, Attletico only won the Europa League. In 2010, they beat Inter 2: 0, and in 2012, they defeated Chelsea 4: 1. Atletico won all the Super Cup matches in which they participated .

H2H Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid


The teams meet each season at least twice in the Spanish Championship, and in recent years their paths have often intersected in the Champions League, the Spanish Cup, the Super Cup of Spain, and now here in the UEFA Super Cup. According to the statistics, only 184 matches were played between themselves, Real Madrid won 96 times, Atletico celebrated the victory 47 times and 41 games ended in a draw .

Now Los Colchoneros are almost on equal footing with Real and often win, but only five years ago everything was different. For a long time, Atletico could not beat Real Madrid. Just think, the first victory in the 21st century happened only in 2013, and before this, for 25 matches, Atletico failed to come out the winner from the Madrid derby .

If we talk about encounters in European competitions, Whites’ advantage is even more significant. In all duels of the Champions League, Real Madrid won the semi-final of the 1959 Cup of Championships, the final of 2014, the quarter-finals of 2015, the finals of 2016 and the semifinals of 2017.

Perhaps it's time to break this trend at least in the UEFA Super Cup?

Bookmakers’ Forecast for Real Madrid - Atletico 08/15/2018


In the match for the UEFA Super Cup 2018, the winner is Real Madrid in the bookmakers’ opinion. The chances of Real Madrid to win are 2.30. (bet365). The victory of Atletico is quoted at 3.10 .

And the probability of a draw is 3.25.

Given the possible extra time and penalty shootout, Real's chances to win are 57%, and the probability that Atletico will win the Super Cup is 43%. For a total of more than 2.5 goals, bets are accepted with odds of 2.15, while a total of less than 2.5 is proposed for 1.66.  And this suggests that bookmakers expect 2 goals scored in a duel. The most likely is a 1: 1 draw, this outcome has odds of 4.50.

Posible Line-ups and Tactical Scheme


Atletico's starting line-up is easy to read, there can be a maximum of 2-3 surprises, everything is clear. It is difficult to predict the formation and choice of Real's mentor for the match, this is from the category of a finger in the sky. Julen Lopetegui is a fan of 4-3-3, but you could see other options in the same Spanish team.

• Real (4-3-3): Navas - Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Varan ?, Carvajal - Kroos, Kazemiro, Modric ? - Isco, Benzema, Bale.
• Atletico (4-4-2): Clouds - Felipe Luis, Godin, Jimenez, Vrsalco - Lemar, Koke, Saul, Correa - Grismann, Diego Costa.

 UEFA Super Cup Prediction for 2018


Real, for obvious reasons, is considered the favourite of the meeting, because this is a club, which can boast three straight victories in the Champions League. However, it was last season when Zidane left the post and now the team is trained by a new specialist.

In Atletico the same situation - Diego Simeone has been training the team for a long time and teamwork will be crucial in this confrontation .
In addition, statistics are in favour of Atletico - two wins in two games for the UEFA Super Cup. We predict the victory of Atletico in regular time with the score 2: 1. Also, the high probability of a draw is 1: 1.

We recommend to bet against the favourite, that is, Atletico Madrid.

For other interesting options for the UEFA Super CUP Real Madrid - Atletico please consider 1xbet
Soccer field