07 January 2021
Totals betting, also known as over/under betting, is a type of wager available on almost any professional sport played worldwide – football, basketball, tennis, baseball, and hockey, to mention a few. As the name suggests, punters bet on the total number of something happening in a sporting event. Precisely, this consists of the number of goals in football, games or sets in tennis, points in basketball, runs in baseball, and it can be other things as well. This total number is going to be completely independent of the outcome of the contest. It does not matter who wins the game, but instead, how many points, runs, or goals have both teams combined.
Totals betting is more commonly referred to as an Over/Under bet. The name of this type of wager is interchangeable, and bookmakers use both of them. Totals bets are one of the simplest and most popular bets to place. Bookmakers usually set the bets on football totals at Over/Under 2.5 goals. If you think a game is going to be low-scoring or high-scoring, you have the opportunity to bet on Over/Under 1.5 goals or Over/Under 3.5 goals. The totals bet is arguably one of the most straightforward bets to make in all sports. The winner and loser of the match don’t matter when you place this kind of wager. The only thing that matters with this kind of bet is to estimate the total score of a sporting event.
Totals bets are a great way to diversify your sports betting picks and make a profit in the process. Totals bets are entertaining when you love or hate both teams playing. If you are a fan of both teams and want to cheer for both to do well, you can logically do this with an over bet. When you bet the score over, you don’t care which team scores as long as they do a lot of it. There are times you’re watching games just for the beauty of the game, and you are not rooting for either team to win. If you’re looking for a fun way to bet on the match but don’t want to cheer for either team, then you can choose the under option.
To demonstrate how the totals betting strategy works, let’s consider a Bundesliga clash between German giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. Both clubs are strong in attack, and their games often end up with four or more goals, so a bet for over 3.5 goals could be a safe option with reasonably high odds. Over/Under means you bet on whether the combined score will add up to more or less than the projected total number set by the bookmakers.
Advantages of Totals Betting
Totals bets have, for sure, plenty of advantages. We mention a few of them as follows:
- This wager is great for casual bettors and beginners because it is simple to understand how it works.
- You do not have to predict the winner of the game. For example, in football, you just have to bet on the total number of goals scored by the two teams involved in the match, whether it’s per quarter, half, or game.
- There is a 50/50 chance of winning with this type of bet.
Tips for Totals Betting
Don’t let the simplicity of betting on football totals fool you. There’s always the risk of losing money when betting on sports. Take into consideration the following factors before betting on totals:
- Analise the matchups - examine the teams playing and consider their strengths and weaknesses. Also, take into account how many goals each team score per match.
- Venue - most of the teams play well at home and score more. In football, the home field has a significant impact on the majority of the clubs.
- Past matchups – look at the previous meetings between the two teams to help you predict the possible outcome.
- Over/Under record – examine the teams’ Over/Under record in the current season, at home and away, and against each other.
- Weather forecasts – the weather plays a crucial role during football matches. If the game takes place in inclement weather, like rain or snow, it will limit the players’ ability to move the ball.
In conclusion, totals bets are not difficult to understand and allow you to support both teams involved in the game. Even though you are a beginner or an experienced punter, we hope our tips will help you profit from totals betting.